Bread pudding may go back to England during the 11th century as a way of using stale bread...but most southerners love a good dolled up bread pudding today. I won't lie...I didn't much care for bread pudding as a kid but my dad enjoyed it so we would indulge on occasion. It wasn't until my early adult years that I decided I was missing out on the divine variations of bread pudding. This recipe incorporates our Salted Whiskey Caramels as well as a splash of whiskey to the mix. Chopped apples and/or chopped toasted pecans would also be a great addition. Enjoy!
P.S. Did you see our Facebook 'live' video for this recipe?? Check it out!
Salted Whiskey Caramel Bread Pudding
1 loaf (16oz) Challah or Brioche bread, cut into 1" cubes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 cup whole milk (don't use a substitute)
5 eggs, beaten
1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons whiskey or bourbon
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 box (4oz) Mollycoddled Hash Slinger's Salted Whiskey Caramels
2 tablespoons whole milk (for caramel sauce)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Put bread cubes into 3-4 qt (at least 12 cup capacity) oven safe baking dish.
2. In large microwave safe mixing bowl, whisk-- melted butter, heavy whipping cream, whole milk, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla and salt. Warm in the microwave in approx 2-3 minutes until warm but not boiling. (This step can be done in a saucepan on the stove top on medium heat until warm)
3. Cut 4-5 caramels into small pieces with paring knife (each piece into slices or 5-6 pieces).
4. Pour cream mixture over bread in the baking dish and toss with spoon until bread is soaked in mixture. Spread evenly. Add pieces of caramel throughout and lightly poke down into the mixture.
5. Bake for 45-55 minutes until the center is set and reaches at least 155 degrees F. (If your baking dish will fit in the microwave and is microwave safe you can start it in the microwave for about 10 minutes then transfer to the oven for the last 20 minutes).
6. While the bread pudding is in the oven, in a small microwave safe bowl add the remaining caramels with 2 tablespoons milk. Microwave in 30 second intervals stirring thoroughly between until the caramel is melted and blended with the milk and set aside.
7. Once the bread pudding is done, drizzle the caramel sauce over the bread pudding. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving to firm up. Enjoy!
Chopped apples or chopped toasted pecans can be added.
Salted Whiskey Caramel Bread Pudding Recipe
Salted Whiskey Caramels- 4oz box
Get your taste buds ready! We warn you that the package is likely to be devoured in one sitting. Don't like whiskey? Seriously, it doesn't matter! The alcohol leaves the molten sugar while cooking depositing a deeper flavor. Our caramels are cooked in small batches and hand cut. We cherish our Oklahoma heritage and use many Oklahoma sourced ingredients in our confections-we like to keep it local.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.