You know those moments you stare into the fridge and try to figure out what's for dinner? Mounds of leftovers you really don't want to eat yet again....?? Well, here we are stuck in a winter storm in Oklahoma with temperatures well below freezing and I failed as a mom after a busy holiday week as a business owner to plan for dinner.
Guess what?! The pan of the last eight Raisin' Cane's chicken fingers from our Super Bowl family meal stared back at me! Yes, I ordered waaaayyyyy too many chicken fingers and we brought about 20 home from my mother-in-law's and I really hated to waste the last eight. THEN, it HIT me like a TON OF BRICKS! Chicken and waffle night! Oh crap! Not enough syrup...how can I stretch the syrup we had left?! DING DING DING!!! Winner winner CHICKEN DINNER! I forgot I brought home a mound of Bourbon Pecan Toffee 'crumbles' left from packaging last week's toffee for Valentine's Day orders! I quickly created this recipe and it is SO GOOD! Here's the thing... I am giving you permission to cheat and buy chicken fingers, tenders or strips...whatever your fave restaurant calls them... go ahead and cheat! My rule is... every meal is 'homemade' if it is MADE IN THE HOME! The entire meal does not have to be from scratch!
P.S. In our house we prefer the good 'ol Bisquick Waffle recipe... easy peasy!
Bourbon Pecan Toffee Maple Syrup Recipe for Chicken & Waffles
Servings: approx. 4-6 servings
(1) 6oz box Mollycoddled Hash Slinger Bourbon Pecan Toffee
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup REAL maple syrup
1. Heat 1/2 cup water over medium heat in a small, heavy bottom saucepan.
2. Add entire box of toffee and heat to a rolling boil. Stir continuously until toffee is melted into the water (may take 5-7 minutes). Refrain from turning the heat past medium as the toffee can burn.
3. Add maple syrup. Stir until mixed.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low or low and simmer until syrup is thickened.
5. Let cool slightly before serving but use while warm. Reheat slightly if needed between serving. Syrup will thicken as it cools and pours easier when warm.
WARNING: This 'dinner' is basically dessert... the balance of the praline like syrup is great with the saltiness of the chicken but feel free to cut back on the amount of toffee if you prefer a slightly less sweet syrup.
Bourbon Pecan Toffee- 6oz box
Your new addiction! This is our contemporary yet masculine spin on toffee. The bourbon adds a smooth rich flavor to this classic confection. Loaded with smooth buttery goodness, molasses and pecans you won't be able to put this package down! Our toffee has the perfect texture and bite as toffee should. Cooked in small batches with many Oklahoma sourced ingredients and packaged by hand.